Grey County.

Site: Owen Sound

Service: Social Services and Housing Departments - Sustainable Housing Benefit

Record #: CWD4405
Last Modified: 04 Mar 2022
Last Full Update: 04 Mar 2022


Description (Service) Provides financial assistance to Grey County residents to establish or maintain an affordable residence. May be available to help residents who are experiencing homelessness to obtain affordable housing either within or outside of Grey County, or to assist residents at risk of homelessness to remain housed. Not available to individuals who request funding to relocate into Grey County.

Allowable costs to obtain housing include: last month’s rent and deposits for energy costs (gas, electricity, etc). Requires verification of costs and complete information about landlord (name, address, contact phone number) and energy service providers.

Allowable costs to remain housed include rental arrears to avoid eviction and energy arrears to avoid service disconnection (heat, electricity, water and sewage, utilities). Copies of disconnection and eviction notices are required. Bed bug or other infestations are the responsibility of landlords. If the landlord fails to address a problem and verification of the infestation is provided, assistance may be considered.

Beds, fridges and stoves may be considered on a case-by-case basis. Costs are paid directly to landlords and/or service providers.

OW/ODSP clients may have their future rent/energy costs paid directly from their entitlement. Non-OW/ODSP applicants must provide verification of accommodation costs, income and assets.

Service Details

Public Comments Funding is limited. Entitlement amounts and approved services may vary at various times.
Hours Mon-Fri 8:30 am-4:30 pm
Areas Served Grey County
Boundaries Grey County
Eligibility Applicant must:  
  • be a Grey County resident 
  • be homeless or at risk of homelessness 
  • have not received assistance under the CHPI program (including other municipalities) within the past 24 months 
  • have a gross household income that is within the Housing Services Act limits: 
    • Single $24,500  
    • Couple $31,000  
    • Single/couple with one dependent $38,000  
    • Single/couple with two dependents $43,500  
    • Single/couple with 3+ dependents $54,000
  • have household assets within the following limits: 
    • Single $2,500 
    • Couple - no dependents $5,000 
    • Each dependent add $500
Applicant may:  
  • be a victim of domestic violence 
  • be discharged from hospital/incarceration 
  • be required to relocate due to uninhabitable housing (fire, flood, infestation or mold, structurally unsafe, etc.) - third party verification required 
  • be moving to more sustainable housing (costs at least 20% less than current)  
  • have experienced a catastrophic event (fire, flood, etc. with no insurance)
Residency Requirements: Grey County
Application Call either the Housing or Social Services Department and request for the Sustainable Housing Benefit Form to be mailed out. Application form available online on the Affordable Housing page or pick up an application form at:
  • Grey County Administration Office - 595 9th Ave East, Owen Sound
  • Ontario Works satellite offices (Markdale, Hanover, Durham, Meaford Family Resource Centre, Alpha Street Family Resource Centre)
  • the offices of a number of community partners: Y Housing, Grey Bruce Community Legal Clinic, Women’s Centre, MPP office
  • ODSP clients may obtain an application form from their ODSP caseworker

Application form includes information on where and how to submit the completed application, consent and verifying information to consider the request

Appointment is not required
Languages English
Fees None

Address and Location

Located In Community Owen Sound
Address & Map
County of Grey
595 9th Ave E
Owen Sound, ON N4K 3E3
View Google Map
Intersection 9th Ave and 6th St East
Physical Access Fully Accessible

Contact Information

Office Phone Housing: 519-376-5744
Toll Free Phone 1-800-265-3119
Fax Housing: 519-376-0445  
Social Services: 519-376-4920
Primary Contact Josh Gibson, Housing Programs Manager; Phone: 519-376-5744 ext 1216; Email:
Alternate Contact Anne Marie Shaw, Director; Phone: 519-376-5744 ext 1305; Fax: 519-376-0445; Email:
Mailing Address c/o Department of Housing or Department of Social Services 
595 9th St E 
Owen Sound, On N4K 3E3


Service Categories Financial Assistance Programs
Service Category Groups Income Programs

Agency Overview

Locations for this Service